THE OPPORTUNITY CENTER MISSION: To holistically improve the health and well-being of ALL participants by empowering them to develop the physical, social, and emotional skills that define healthy, resilient, and socially responsible citizens.
The Opportunity Center’s structure and programming will be designed to meet the needs of Wisconsin’s most vulnerable residents. A facility where everyone can find activities to improve their quality of life. A true “community center” where all are welcomed regardless of their ability to pay or play. It is where people will find numerous opportunities to interact with each other regardless of age, race, income, religion, gender, physical or cognitive ability. The Opportunity Center will make Milwaukee home to America’s ONLY urban sports tourism center, serving citizens from our community, county, region, and across the country for: greater inclusion, stronger education, and true integration through systems change. To learn more about The Opportunity Center, please visit: www.tocwi.org
This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual who is passionate about universal and equitable opportunity for health, wellness, and recreation and has a proven career in Development. This individual will serve as a member of The Opportunity Center’s (TOC) Senior Leadership Team reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and taking counsel and direction from TOC’s Board of Directors.
The Development Director will play a major part in a $100m campaign, over the next three years, to establish funding to build The Opportunity Center, and establish its endowment.
This includes establishing the visual identity of TOC providing leadership in fundraising, grant writing, as well as private and public partnerships. This individual will serve as the primary relationship manager, planning for and establishing relationships with potential donors to further their engagement with the mission of the organization. This leader will be a visible, involved member of the community and have a true passion for the importance of transforming Milwaukee into a more equitable region through education, sport, and inclusion. The Development Director will attract stakeholders, donors, and partners to TOC that enhance its growth and success.
The Development Director will help set the overall vision and strategy for Development and mentor team members in pursuit of that vision. The principal work of the Development Director is to collaborate with board members, committed donors, and volunteers to identify, recruit, and cultivate both new and existing donors as potential major gift prospects through point-of-entry events, prospect identification activities and personal networking.
As part of the Development Director’s responsibilities, they will both help lead and support The Opportunity Center’s first Capital Campaign Drive. This ambitious campaign goal of $80-$100 million will take place over the coming months and into 2025.
Establish the overall strategic direction for the Development office, which includes collaborating with the President/CEO and Leadership team to develop, implement and review fundraising strategies, including:
- Capital Campaign
- Major Gifts
- Grant Writing
- Individual Giving
- Corporate Giving
- Planned Giving
Lead the Development Activity for the organization, including:
- Define the cultivation process and manage strategies for high-level donors and prospective donors, including timely and accurate documentation in the donor management system of conversations and contacts with donors, volunteers, board members, and staff.
- Maintain a portfolio of major donor prospects and be responsible for cultivation, stewardship, retention and upgrading while supporting the creation and implementation of major gifts strategy.
- Coordinate the cultivation and solicitation of foundations, corporations, and other institutional prospects
- Lead the grant writing process, working with project management and leadership teams to ensure all grants are timely and of the quality that TOC demands.
- Outline metrics to measure effectiveness for all aspects of the Development plan.
- Attend point of entry events, meetings and other fundraising events to identify and cultivate relationships with board members and prospective donors.
- Work closely with the marketing team/agency to promote the mission of TOC to the community.
- Participate in weekly workstream meetings with Project Management and Leadership Teams.
- Ensure that donors are appreciated and recognized. Organize donor recognition.
Desired Background and Skill Set
In addition to a Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of non-profit fundraising experience, the ideal candidate will possess:
- A willingness to utilize their professional skills (fundraising, marketing, finance, education, etc.) and networks to enhance the mission of The Opportunity Center.
- Knowledge of our community and philanthropic landscape.
- A history of creating and communicating strategic vision for a fundraising team.
- A proven contributor to equity, inclusion, and community building through previous work.
- A demonstrated successful track record in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors and prospects.
- Qualities of a team player who is self-directed, creative, and enjoys working in a mission-based organization.
- Superior organizational and communication (oral and written) skills allowing for the ability to convey the mission of TOC as critical for our community.
- Familiarity with donor/prospect management systems (Salesforce) and the ability to promote a culture of using data to inform the decision making.
Please email all items below, combined into one document, to info@opportunityMKE.org.
In the email subject line note: LAST NAME_TOC Development Director Candidate.
- Letter of interest describing your qualifications for this position
- Detailed and updated résumé
- Salary expectations
- Names of, your relationship to, and contact information for, three professional references.
- References will not be contacted until a candidate has been notified.
- All offers of employment are contingent upon clear results of thorough background checks.