Executive Director Job Post
About the Park People of Milwaukee, Inc.:
The Park People of Milwaukee County, Inc. (“The Park People”) is a nonprofit, community-based organization formed in 1978. Its purpose is to preserve, support, and enhance Milwaukee County Parks while building an effective volunteer organization. Its website is found at parkpeoplemke.org
The primary focus of The Park People is to support Friends Groups, which are volunteer organizations dedicated to specific parks. There are approximately 40 Friends Groups serving a host of parks in Milwaukee County. The Park People assists Friends Groups by providing administrative support such as insurance for their activities, 501(c)(3) tax exempt status for donations they receive, and technical support derived from its experience with organizing Friends Groups. The Park People also assists Friends Groups in organizing Weed-Outs® (removing invasive species), Trash-Outs (park cleanup), and providing equipment for park activities. The Park People also manages its own activities, such as the Oak Leaf Discovery Tour®, Park Market, and Parkticipation.
About the Role
Our current Executive Director will be retiring later this year, creating a vacancy. This is a part-time position, requiring 20 – 25 hours per week. However, the position involves a great deal of responsibility, as the Executive Director is, in a word, the face of the organization, both with respect to Friends Groups and the general public. The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization, reporting to the Board of Directors. The Executive Director is assisted by independent contract workers, rather than a full-time staff. Executive skills are required because the Executive Director is responsible for developing and managing the budget in line with the organization’s mission and resources. Most importantly, the Executive Director must have good communication skills, because so much of the work involves relationship building.
The Executive Director’s role is to advance the mission by interacting with and developing the organization’s membership, managing organization’s events and programs, promoting the creation and responding to the needs of Friends Groups, and coordinating with the Milwaukee County Park Department. Ideally, the Executive Director will help develop partnerships and sponsorships within the community directed at supporting The Park People and the parks.
The successful candidate will be a high energy individual who is able to motivate and engage others, balance multiple priorities, and navigate successfully in challenging situations. The Executive Director must be transparent, personable and someone who is very comfortable working independently while also teaming with Board Members and other community partners. The Board is an active and informed governing board. The Executive Director works with the Board of Directors to establish and implements its strategic plan and budget
The Park People seeks a candidate with a bachelor’s degree (or higher) along with commensurate skills and expertise in general business management, event and project management, marketing communication, staff management, board and community relations. Excellent speaking, writing and computer skills are essential. Experience working for a non-profit and in membership, fund development and grant writing is beneficial. Familiarity with various marketing communication vehicles is also beneficial. Experience with QuickBooks™ or other financial management software tools and spreadsheets is valuable.
The Executive Directors is accountable for the following:
- Manages organization’s restricted, fiscally sponsored and operational funds.
- Responsible for implementing membership growth and retention plans, including an annual membership drive. Maintains all records related to membership and renewals.
- Accountable for the planning and execution of The Park People signature programs including Oak Leaf Discovery Tour®, Weed-Out® and Run for the Parks®. Support other initiatives which align to organization mission and as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Support the needs of existing and new Friends Group organizations. Partner with Friends Group Committee Chair on annual Friends Group meeting and initiatives. Align The Park People plans with Milwaukee County Parks Department.
- Maintain the online PARK MARKET. Ensure prompt delivery/implementation of PARK MARKET purchases, coordinating all activities required for successful order fulfillment.
- Identifies Fund Development opportunities. Develop new revenue sources for the parks and The Park People, including earned income activities, corporate and foundation relationships and funding proposals.
- Establish success metrics for each approved event. Report out results (financial and non-financial) in planning and post event stages. Work to identify process / cost improvement opportunities.
- Oversee marketing, media and public relations activities in accordance with policies adopted by the Board of Directors. Publicize, promote and represent the activities of the organization, its programs and goals
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations, including the Milwaukee County Parks Department and regulatory agencies. Cultivates relationships with potential members, including corporate organizations and individuals.
- Responsible for the recruitment and management of all paid staff, outside contractors, and volunteers. Establishes and manages a brank of volunteers to support all areas of the organization’s work.
- Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and the board in preparing a budget and ensuring that the organization operates within budget guidelines, maintaining sound financial practices and using generally accepted accounting principles
- Other duties as assigned
For consideration, please submit your resume to: email@example.com. When submitting your application, please:
- Address the Subject line of the email as: ED Job Post Submission,
- Include your salary requirements (based on a 25 hour per week commitment), and
- Name your favorite park