The Salvation Army Emergency Lodge provides a wide variety of services to those in need. Since 1979, the 120-bed Emergency Lodge, located at 1730 N 7th St. in Milwaukee, has provided emergency shelter to homeless individuals and families with children. More than 80% of residents successfully move from shelter to safe, affordable housing each year. If you feel that you want to take part in the Salvation Army’s mission by preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human need in His name without discrimination at the Lodge, apply today!
The Intake Worker (Shelter Advocate) provides support to the Social Services Director by providing supervision and intake of clients, maintaining security, and providing supportive services in a Christian atmosphere.
Essential Functions: This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of the position. Other job related responsibilities and tasks may be assigned. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Conducts intake interviews of incoming residents into shelter
- Assigns a proper room and distributes needed bedding and personal items
- Provides necessary supervision of shelter and residents, assuring that rules and policies are being followed
- Maintains an awareness of client needs
- Answers telephone calls, taking messages when appropriate
- Cleans shelter areas as necessary
- Prepares snacks for shelter residents
- Oversees lunch and dinner preparations in dining room
- Reviews log book and updates entries as needed
- Performs room inspections
- Distributes medications as needed
- Supervises volunteers and community service workers, when assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the minimal education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: Experience working with the homeless population desirable
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
Who we are:
Our Mission: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Our message is based on the Bible. Our ministry is motivated by the love of God. Our mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human need in His name without discrimination.
Why work for us?
The Salvation Army’s brand promises to Do the Most Good® – and it’s our employees that help us get there. At every level, you can have a real impact on your community through the work done inside our walls every day.
We are as impassioned about our employees as we are about our mission to help anyone in need without discrimination. Our culture reflects this quality, which makes our offices a seriously great place to work. Just walk inside our doors and you’ll quickly see that our employees are proud to support programs that make a difference.
The Salvation Army recognizes that peace of mind is important to employees and their families. Because of this, we offer :
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible schedules and a casual dress environment
- Generous paid time off benefits (vacation, sick time, personal time, and 11 paid holidays)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program, providing 24/7 support, resources, and referrals to help you in your work and personal life
- Insurance benefits: excellent health, dental, vision, life, disability
- Discounts available for pet insurance, auto insurance, and home insurance
Full-time employees scheduled to work 30 or more hours per week will be eligible for full benefits, including health, dental, vision and hearing benefits, basic and voluntary life benefits, holiday pay and paid time off, which is pro-rated based on their regularly scheduled work week.
Non-Exempt Employees: Health, dental, vision, and hearing benefits, as well as basic and voluntary life benefits, will begin on the first day of the month following 90 days of employment. If the completion of a 90-day waiting period occurs on the first day of the calendar month, coverage will begin on that day.
Please use this link to apply on our career site.