Title: Intake Specialist
Position: Full-time, 40 Hours, M – F, 7am to 3pm, some evenings and weekends required.
Reports to: Shelter Manager
Location: 505 Building
The mission of The Women’s Center is to provide safety, shelter and support to empower all impacted by domestic abuse, sexual violence, child abuse, and trafficking.
Summary/ Objective: The primary responsibility of this position is to provide crisis intervention and emotional support through advocacy and supportive services to both residential and non-residential survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- First point of contact for crisis walk-ins, crisis calls, and on scene support for Sexual Assault survivors at local hospitals and Carroll University campus as assigned by a supervisor.
- Follow up on Law Enforcement calls, Advocacy referral request and SANE follow ups to safety plan, identify immediate needs, and review agency services to potential clients.
- Answer incoming calls from 24-Hour hotline.
- Maintain current resources list for appropriate referral destinations.
- Triage ongoing client requests to appropriate Survivor Advocate’s based on caseload.
- Ensure clients receive trauma-informed services including crisis intervention, safety planning, emotional support, advocacy, and information and referrals through outreach including follow up calls and in-person advocacy.
- Maintain accurate and complete records and statistics, including assessment data entry and case notes while maintaining respect and confidentiality of clients.
- Assigned shelter shifts include holidays.
- Mediate interpersonal problems between residents.
- Assess clients for risk of suicidal ideations.
- Advocate for clients with legal, medical and other community systems.
- Adhere to organizational compliance with all local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Ensure compliance with all safety and work rules and regulations.
- Ensure the maintenance of departmental housekeeping standards.
- Participate in agency meetings and trainings.
- Completes other duties as needed and/or requested by supervisor to align with mission and vision of the organization.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of domestic violence and sexual assault/abuse, as well as child abuse and neglect.
- Experience working with trauma survivors.
- Strong crisis intervention skills, including group facilitations skills.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills, Written and oral – talking and writing effectively in order to convey information appropriately to needs of the audience.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Sensitivity to issues faced by survivors of interpersonal violence.
- Ability and willingness to work both individually and as part of a team with other staff in provision of services to clients.
- Active listening – giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension – understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management – managing one’s own time and the time of others.
- Service Orientation – actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination – adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Critical Thinking – using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making – considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Associate degree preferred.
- A combination of professional experience working with trauma survivors and education will be considered in lieu of a degree.
Language Skills: Ability to read, write and comprehend English. Bilingual – English/Spanish preferred.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to utilize critical thinking – such as using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Requires a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and proof of insurance.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required.
- This would require the ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Will require some movement up and down stairs and between buildings.
Work Environment: The Work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may perform some work-related travel.
- Works predominantly indoors but may need to go between different buildings.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
AAP/EEO: The Women’s center is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.