Scope of Position:
The Executive Director (ED) is the key manager responsible for executing the strategic plan of the organization. She or he will develop deep knowledge of the mission, programs, operations, and financial resources. The ED is Variety’s chief fund raiser. Other key duties include staff oversight, marketing, and community outreach.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Board Governance: works with board directors to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Communicates effectively with the Board and provides all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Conducts official correspondence of the organization. Advises the Board and its committees on all aspects of the organization, seeks and builds Board involvement with strategic direction, and executes other duties as assigned.
- Financial Performance and Viability: develops and manages resources sufficient to ensure the financial health and integrity of the organization.
- With Board oversight, the ED manages fiscal operations within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and grows and strengthens the organization’s financial position.
- Fundraising and Communications: As the public face of the organization, the ED is responsible for public relations, fundraising, and developing other resources necessary to support Variety’s mission.
- The ED oversees the development and execution of fundraising plans to assure multiple gift/grant revenue streams; evaluates fundraising activities as to their relevance and effectiveness to support program operations. Leads staff and volunteers in orchestrating three or four major annual fundraising events. Enhances Variety’s public image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Mission and Strategy: works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- The ED ensures that the strategic plan and budget are aligned with Variety’s mission and recommends adjustments to match client needs and Variety’s resources.
- The ED stays connected to Variety International and other tents and ensures all required reporting and voting are completed.
- Operations: oversees and allocates resources to ensure appropriate operations.
- The ED oversees the efficient and effective administration of day-to-day operations; drafts and reviews policies for Board approval; develops job descriptions and ensures sound human resource practices; actively engages and energizes volunteers, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
Preferred Professional Qualifications:
- Proven track record of success in a leadership position overseeing operations of an organization or program
- Experience managing staff and developing high-performance teams, setting and achieving strategic objectives, and managing a budget.
- Bachelor’s degree and five or more years’ nonprofit management experience.
- Successful resource development experience, particularly in fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector.
- A solid knowledge of accounting, budgeting, financial management and marketing.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including public speaking ability.
- Ability to recruit and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups.
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
Salary negotiable and commensurate with experience. Salary range starts at $85,000
Current benefits include health insurance and paid vacation.
This position is housed on site at the Variety – Wisconsin offices.
Interested candidates should submit electronically in one email: a cover letter expressing your interest and aligning your skills and experiences with the leadership needs of the organization as you understand them and a current resume with appropriate dates. Forward all materials to:
Nancy Seidl Nelson at email@example.com