The Chief of Staff is a full-time position who will assist the President & CEO in providing leadership and oversight for the Chamber’s day-to-day functions and staff. This role supports the President & CEO in building strong relationships with team members across the organization in order to influence outcomes and maintain momentum for the organization as it works to build an inclusive and thriving economy for LGBTQ and allied businesses.
The role will have both internal- and external-facing responsibilities, ranging from human capital development (day-to-day management and professional growth for a team of four staff members – soon to be eight), to project management (including advocacy, communications and media work, fundraising, administrative work, and external events).
This new position will be responsible for creating comprehensive structures that help advance the Chamber’s mission and strategic plan. The Chief of Staff will also be responsible for serving as the Grant Administrator for the Chamber’s Diverse Business Assistance Grant. Additionally, the Chief of Staff will undertake priority projects as assigned by the President & CEO and enable the President & CEO to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and fulfill their commitments to the Wisconsin LGBT Chamber’s members, funders, and external stakeholders.
The Chief of Staff will serve as a connector who is aware of every key project and can connect the dots across the Chamber. This is a highly strategic and facilitative role that requires a combination of focus, flexibility, and interpersonal savviness. The role requires a highly resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, motivation, and analytical skills. The ideal candidate will have the acumen and finesse to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands.
This is a salaried position. While this position is full-time, 40 hours a week, this is not just a 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. job. Some early mornings and evenings are required. This position will be based in the Chamber’s headquarters in Milwaukee, with frequent in-state travel expected. The individual selected must have reliable transportation and be able to travel around the state to attend events and meetings.
Major Duties & Tasks
Provide “big picture” strategic support to President & CEO (25%)
- Help drive internal and external understanding of the President & CEO’s vision and priorities
- Enable information flow throughout the organization, particularly to and from the President & CEO and other team members
- Attend internal and external meetings on behalf of the Chamber, capture major takeaways, and work with the President & CEO to ensure follow up
Serve as Grant Administrator for the Chamber’s State of Wisconsin ARPA Diverse Business Assistance Grant (20%)
- Ensure full compliance with all federal, state, and local grant regulations
- Prepare and submit semi-annual performance reports on grant progress to Wisconsin Department of Administration
- Provide clear and concise grants administration policies and procedures for staff
- Track and report on grant performance and deliverables
- Assist with reporting and delivery on any other state or federal grant programs that the Chamber receives
Develop Chamber’s operating plan and measure progress (30%)
- Provide project management for Chamber program and events
- Track implementation of priorities and projects
- Coordinate projects and commitments for the Chamber, ensuring alignment, communication, and leveraging of resources
- Research and benchmark data on program performance to make recommendations for the future
- Propose the creation of new systems and processes to streamline operations
Assist with Hiring and Management of Chamber Staff (15%)
- Harness the staff towards effectively meeting the organization’s mission and priorities
- Ensure maximum efficiency, harmony and good workflow from staff and inform the President & CEO on progress and issues found
- Manage hiring process for ARPA funded Chamber positions, including drafting and posting job descriptions, in additional to screening candidates and providing recommendations
- Work with staff to align their actions and communications in support of agreed upon goals
- Help ensure that individuals connect their roles to the bigger organizational strategy
Other Duties as Assigned (10%)
- Represent the organization with funders, non-profit organizations, public officials and other partners in person and in writing in coordination with the President & CEO
- Work to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they bubble up to the President & CEO
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of the startup and small business ecosystem
- Exceptional judgment and communication skills
- Able to review complex data and highlight key areas of focus
- Able to systematize processes and bring order out of chaos
- Inclined to stabilize the course and protect the status quo when dealing with risk or unknowns
- Able to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others whether in in-person or virtual settings
- Interpersonal savvy and organizational agility; ability to influence up, down, and across
- Organized, dependable and detail oriented, must be able to multitask and meet multiple deadlines
- Able to work well independently under own direction and as part of a team
- Knowledge of financial management and strategic planning
- Knowledge of human resource policies and practices
- Must possess a spirit of cooperation and enthusiasm, while being able to be direct and honest with team members
- Must be committed to the vision and values of the Wisconsin LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Must be committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the community and the workplace
- Must be level-headed in emergency situations and have an acute sense of responsibility
- Have a strong passion for entrepreneurship and a commitment to small business development
- Available to work at least 40 hours a week; early mornings and evenings will be required
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel around the state on a regular basis
This position is based at the Chamber’s Milwaukee headquarters. The Chief of Staff will be expected to travel around the state to visit members and for events and meetings on a regular basis.
This is a salaried position. Salary is $70,000 to $75,000 a year, plus benefits.
This is a grant funded, fixed term position. The position is set to run through December 31, 2024.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please send a cover letter and a resume to Jason Rae, President & CEO, at email@example.com. No phone calls please.