Posted September 21, 2019
by Ben Hastil
Whether you are just starting your job search for the first time as a student or recent graduate, are looking to switch to the nonprofit sector, or have years of nonprofit experience, here are the best guides on the web to landing your nonprofit dream job.
The Idealist Guides to Nonprofit Careers
Just getting started in the nonprofit sector or looking to switch to the nonprofit sector? These comprehensive guides will help you through the next steps by providing advice, strategies, and resources to strengthen your job search.
- The Idealist Guide to Nonprofit Careers for First-time Job Seekers
- The Idealist Guide to Nonprofit Careers for Sector Switchers
The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s School of Human Ecology Career Guides
Looking for a great introductory career guide relevant to any nonprofit job seeker? Find steps on how to tailor your cover letter and resume for the job for which you are applying, checklists to ensure that your cover letter and resume are polished, examples of how to list your references, common interview questions and methods for answering questions, and the steps to take after an interview in these two guides.
The George Washington University’s Trachtenberg School of Public Policy & Public Administration Career Development Guides
Already have experience in the nonprofit sector or want to focus more deeply on a particular aspect of the job search? Check out these excellent guides on networking meetings (informational interviews), resumes, cover letters, references, interviewing, and negotiating compensation.
- Networking Meetings Career Guide
- Resumes That Get Noticed Guide (see our post on resume templates, too!)
- Compelling Cover Letters Guide
- References and Recommendation Letters Career Guide
- Interviewing for Impact Guide
- Negotiating Your Compensation Package Guide
Know of other excellent guides for careers in nonprofit fields? Let us know!