Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin is the largest hunger-relief organization in the state. Our mission is to solve hunger. Last year we distributed more than 53 million pounds of healthy, nutritious food to our members who are food pantries, meal programs, and shelters throughout 35 counties in eastern Wisconsin.
Formulate strategies, develop and implement a work plan to solicit food and products from the food industry to meet the distribution needs of the Food Bank member agencies. Responsible for the development, retention and enhancement of foods from all sources (donations, purchased product and government commodities). Provide support for all programmatic needs of the organization related to food systems and procurement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Formulate strategy and develops a work plan to solicit food and other products from the food industry including manufacturers, distributors, farmers and supermarkets, as well as other food banks within our network.
- Oversee internal programs related to food procurement, food systems and supply chain, inclusive of the Farm Link and Tribal Elder Box programs.
- Manage and provide oversight over Food Resources department staff.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of a cost effective, network-wide food purchasing program. Oversee forecasting and tracking tools for purchase program.
- Both directly and through providing direction and oversight to the Food Resources team, develop and cultivate new food donors throughout FAEW footprint. Cultivate current food donors with the goal of receiving more pounds per donation and more frequent donations. Visits donor sites to enhance relationships and foster support.
- Determines form and frequency of donation solicitations and develop a system of donor tracking, reporting and acknowledgments. Develop and maintain donor recognition program and awards for major food donors.
- Research and develop strategies to meet fresh product goals and initiatives.
- Monitor the nutritional content of food acquired in accordance with the Food Bank’s strategic plan.
- Collaborate with operations staff to make the most efficient use of transportation and other logistics needed for handling donations.
- Provide required monthly, quarterly and annual reports required by food donors.
- Manage and provide oversight of all government-related programs. Oversee procurement and documentation of the TEFAP program, ordering of product and ensuring timely distribution.
- Provide oversight and communication of product recall program.
- Maintain a balanced inventory of nutritional and needed food items that meet FAEW program requirements at a competitive cost.
- Provide information and tours of Food Bank to visitors, donors, and other interested parties.
- Work with the development department to develop informational materials for distribution.
- Oversee maintenance of databases related to all aspects of food procurement, donors and inventory. Oversee proper data stewardship, inventory management, product storage, transfers. Manage inventory aging and support adequate inventory turns. Monitor disposals and work to resolve excess waste issues with internal and external partners.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Commitment to understand and support FAEW’s mission, vision, and effective actions to end food insecurity and its causes.
- Respect for the people FAEW serves and commitment to learn the causes of their food insecurity and need.
- Bachelor’s degree and extensive experience in food industry, sales, marketing and/or purchasing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent problem solving and planning skills.
- Organization and decision-making skills.
- Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets and data management programs.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to analyze data, problem solve, develop solutions and write reports.
- Time management skills and ability to prioritize work responsibilities to meet required timelines.
- Ability to make presentations in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be open-minded of differing opinions and views.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, automobile insurance that meets Feeding America’s liability requirements, and transportation to travel to work sites
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand, and/or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds while moving files or small packages. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounter while performing the essential functions of this position.
The ability to work from home is a flexible work arrangement that Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin (FAEW) offers to enable employees to achieve a more successful balance between work responsibilities and family life. FAEW may offer this option to employees when it benefits both the organization and the employee. However, our FAEW facilities serve as a critical hub for collaboration and, while we want to embrace flexibility, the need to be in the office or out in the field and working on projects or networking through natural camaraderie, will be expected. This position does have the capacity to work from home in our hybrid work from home model.
Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin, Inc. is committed to fostering diversity in our workplace. FAEW does not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of age, race, color, creed, religion, handicap, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical disability, mental disability, or veteran status. Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.