St. Augustine Preparatory Academy is seeking candidates to fill the available full-time High School Spanish Foreign Language teaching position. Experience with urban youth and the ability to utilize technology to engage and deepen learning for students are preferred. Coaching and other co-curricular assignments are available. The High School Spanish Teacher is expected to motivate each pupil to develop competencies, knowledge and skills in aurally comprehending, speaking, reading and writing Spanish as a foreign language, in accordance with each pupil’s ability, to interpret to pupils the culture of the countries where the foreign language is spoken’ to discover and develop special talents of pupils in foreign language communication.
Reporting Structure: The High School Spanish Teacher reports to the High School Principal.
Job Responsibilities and Roles:
These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Teaches skills and knowledge in foreign language instruction to 9-12 students, utilizing the course of study adopted by the Board and other appropriate learning activities. Spanish foreign language teachers will teach aural comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the basic instructional philosophy.
- Provides learning experiences which develop the basic communication skills, utilizing electronic equipment as appropriate.
- Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Instructs pupils in safe operation of electronic equipment used in language instruction. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs as required.
- Develops pupil understanding and appreciation of culture of countries where foreign language is spoken.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
- Evaluates each pupil’s progress in aural comprehension, speaking, reading and writing the foreign language in relation to the level being taught.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids, and instructional supplies and maintains required inventory records.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on pupil progress.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned work day.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school and/or in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Performs other duties as many, from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
- Perform related work as required.
- A belief in the ability of every child and a commitment to ensure excellence for each student.
- Bachelor’s Degree (with major or minor in Spanish Foreign Language preferred). Master’s degree in Education a plus.
- Participating member in a local Church.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; bilingual in Spanish required.
- Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization development; able to balance a focus on big picture priorities while not losing sight of the annual goals and objectives.
- Team player committed to the St. Augustine Preparatory mission and model.
- Candidate must be bilingual
- Lastly and most important, the candidate must demonstrate and possess the highest integrity. and be able to live the values, beliefs, and culture of St. Augustine Prep.
Please apply through our website at Aug Prep Careers