Are you looking for a highly rewarding career with great benefits and opportunities for growth? The Wisconsin Humane Society’s Behavior department has an opportunity for a dependable, hardworking, and well-organized individual to join our team as a full-time Animal Evaluator at our Milwaukee Campus!
Animal Evaluator responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform behavior assessments and data gathering in an efficient and timely manner
- Prepare accurate behavior reports and profiles using objective language
- Provide enrichment and behavior modification to animals as needed
- Support the community, staff, volunteers, and foster parents by answering inquiries and questions regarding animal behavior and provide additional resources to address concerns
- Provide animal handling trainings to all new staff and volunteers in a group setting
- Demonstrate safe and proper animal handling at all times
- Milwaukee will be the main campus with travel to Racine or Ozaukee 1-4 times/monthly
Qualifications & Requirements
- Experience working with animals in a professional environment
- General knowledge of dog and cat body language and behavior
- Experience performing positive reinforcement training strategies with dogs
- Excellent organizational skills with high level of attention to detail
- Proficient verbal and written communication and customer service skills.
- Candidates must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Availability of M-F 6:30AM-3PM. Occasional weekends for events (~4 per year) and occasional evening (~6 per year)
- Candidates must be committed to treating animals and humans with kindness and respect
- Certification in dog training and behavior counseling, or active enrollment in a certification program.
- Professional and educational expertise in animal learning theory, scientific behavior modification strategies, and positive based, force-free animal training
- History of creating animal behavior modification protocols
- Experience working professionally with cats and knowledge of cat behavior
- Experience working in a zoological facility or animal shelter
This position pays within an hourly wage range of $16.30 – $19.21/hour.
Full-time Benefits Include:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Group term life insurance and voluntary life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible spending plans
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Aflac supplemental benefit
- 403(b) retirement plan with company match
- Paid family Leave
Time off including:
- Paid time off (PTO)
Full-time and part-time staff are eligible for the following benefits:
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 30% off adoption fees
- 30% off manners classes and behavior consultations
- 20% off youth programs
- Event discounts
- Animal Antics retail discounts
- Limited wellness/veterinary care services for companion animals
Come see why over 240 staff call one of WHS’s 6 locations home! You’ll be happy you did!
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Wisconsin Humane Society believes in equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. WHS’s success depends on engaging qualified people regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is the oldest and largest shelter in Wisconsin. It was founded in 1879 and operates shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Door, and Brown Counties, as well as a Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis. The organization offers adoption services, educational programming, and veterinary resources for animals from low-income households, retail stores, volunteer programs, and dog training classes. The Milwaukee shelter also houses the states busiest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. WHS is an independent nonprofit and receives no general government funding and is not part of any national umbrella group.
To apply, please visit wihumane.org/employment to complete and submit an online employment application. Only applications submitted through our online application system may be considered. Please know that it is our policy to reply to every application received once we have a status update.